Greetings SBB Racers!
Welcome Racers to the SBB Racing’s 2nd race of the year, the annual Summer Solstice Adventure Race.
We have fun, fast and yet challenging courses on tap for you with lots of different Navigation choices to fill out your 2017 race year. The race, as always is 100% Rogaine Style with CPs having various point values based on distance from TAs &/or difficulty. ALL of the CPs are, therefore “Optional”. You pick and choose exactly which CPs you go after and which you may decide to skip.
Knowing your team’s strengths may impact how you attack the course (ie. Which areas you put the most effort into – Paddling, Orienteering or Biking). Winners of the race will be the team with the Highest SCORE TOTAL in the least amount of time. This year’s course should be able to be “Cleaned” by at least half of the teams or more, based on their Navigation ability and speed.
Below are the DETAILS, the RULES then some General Suggestions to help make your race the most enjoyable it can be. The more you read and understand all this info now, the easier and more fun the race will be for you!
RACE MORNING MAP
A map of Windsor Castle Park (Our hosts) is included here to assist you in reducing questions and speeding you up, come race morning.
- 1st thing to do on your way to the race – (DON’T go to the Windsor Castle Park!) FIRST go to the “BOAT DROP” Area, located at Jones Creek Landing Boat Ramp just off (Rte. 665) Smiths Neck Rd. SBB Volunteers will be there 6 AM for 12-hr racers and 8:30 AM for 8-hr racers and for the rest of the morning and will direct you to the Boat Drop Area when you get there. It’s a small & tight area and you won’t have a lot of time to doddle so come early, place your boat and ALL paddling gear in the marked area. You can stage anything you want there (food/fluids/clothes). Once you start paddling, you will not return to this area again, so ALL gear staged MUST travel in your boats to the end of the paddle. NO Volunteers will remain here after last boat leaves. NEXT, come to the Main Windsor Castle Park Area, located 301 Jericho Rd Smithfield, VA 23430, then follow Kayak Lane down to the Kayak Launch by the river)
- 2nd thing to do is to park in the Racer Parking Lot Area off Kayak Lane, following Volunteer’s directions and any signs. There is a Porta-Pottie located there. Use Duct Tape and write your team name on your bikes so we can place them all together later in the race. Grab ALL Mandatory Bike Gear and following Volunteer’s instructions, head to the Bike Drop Area on your way to the Check-in. You are welcome to set up an EZ-Up, Tables or similar anywhere in this area for plotting points later.
- 3rd thing to do once you have done these pre-race things is to THEN come to the HQ Area, check your entire team in, turn in your pre-printed Liability and Medical Waivers, get your T-shirts, Maps, Instructions & Master Passport
- Racers will be plotting “some” CPs on your map before the race and some “On-the-Clock”. (A 1:24K Scale Plotter is required, but available with your entry if needed, just ask). Orienteering Section maps will be pre-plotted.
- 12-hr Race Mandatory Team Briefing is at 6:50 AM for general race details and Team questions
- 12-hr Race Team Captains Final Briefing is at 7:15 AM. Final questions answered & Prologue Instructions will be given then
- 8-hr Race Mandatory Team Briefing is at 9:45 AM for general race details and Team questions
- 8-hr Race Team Captains Final Briefing is at 10:30 AM. Final questions answered & Prologue Instructions will be given then
- Both Races START location will be next to the HQ Check-in at 7:30 AM & 11:30 AM, respectively.
RULES OF TRAVEL
- On the Bike, have ALL Mandatory Gear with you, WCP & VDOT requires you have your helmet on at all times when riding on roads and have both your bike lights “On”, (front light & Rear flashing lights), even in the daytime, for safety because you’ll be on the roads a lot.
- On the Paddle, you must have ALL Mandatory Gear with you, have your PFD on at all times when on the water and have your Throw Bag easily accessible
- On any Trekking legs, you must have all Mandatory Gear with you. It is HIGHLY suggested to have pants or gaiters & Bug Spray, as there are a TON of fresh Summer greenbriers out there and BIG bugs!
- One Master Punch Card for the entire race CPs.
- ALL CPs are Optional & can be obtained in any order w/in that discipline only (Ex. Bike CPs during Bike)
- CUT-OFF: ALL Racers MUST be back to TA3 NLT 5:30 PM to go on final Trekking leg
- Write answers to any CP Questions right on your PUNCH CARD in the appropriate CP block #
- There are bathrooms in the Parking Lots of TA1, TA2 & TA3
- Some Water and a Snack will be available at TA1, TA2, and TA3
- Finish strong and wind down with a home-cooked picnic meal for all!
Founder and Race Promoter
Soggy Bottom Boys Racing