2017 SPROUTE AR Team Captain Details and Rules
Greetings SBB Racers!
I want to welcome you all to the first Soggy Bottom Boys Racing (SBB Racing) race of the year, the Spring-Route (SPROUTE) Adventure Race, just two weeks away!
We have a fun and challenging course on tap for you with lots of different Navigation choices to start out your 2017 race year. The race, as always is 100% Rogaine Style with CPs having various point values based on distance from TAs &/or difficulty. ALL of the CPs are, therefore “Optional”.
You pick and choose exactly which CPs you go after and which you may decide to skip. Knowing your team’s strengths may impact how you attack the course (ie. Which areas you put the most effort into – Paddling, Orienteering or Biking).
Winners of the race will be the team with the Highest SCORE TOTAL in the least amount of time. This year’s course should be able to be “Cleaned” by at least half of the teams, based on their Navigation ability and speed.
Below are the DETAILS, the RULES then some General Suggestions to help make your race the most enjoyable it can be.
The more you read and understand all this info now, the easier and more fun the race will be for you!
A map of York River State Park (Our hosts) is included here to assist you to reduce questions and speed you up, come race morning.
WHAT YOU DO FIRST
First thing to do on your way to York River State Park
- IF you are in the 8-hr race – (DON’T go to the Main Park!) FIRST go to the “BOAT DROP” Area, located at Croaker Landing Boat Ramp (on Rd (Rte. 605). SBB Volunteers will direct you to this area when you get there. It’s a small & tight area and you won’t have a lot of time to doddle so come early, place your boat and ALL paddling gear in the marked area. You can stage anything you want there (food/fluids/clothes). Once you start paddling, you will not return to this area again, so ALL gear staged MUST travel in your boats to the end of the paddle. NO Volunteers will remain here after last boat leaves. NEXT, come to the Main Park Area, located 9801 York River Park Rd Williamsburg, VA 23188.) Your Park Entry Fee is included in your race entry fee, so the Gate Guards will waive you in.
- IF you are in the 4-hr race – Drive straight to the Main Park, located at 9801 York River Park Rd. Williamsburg, VA 23188). Your Park Entry Fee is included in your race entry fee, so let the Gate Guards know you’re racing with SBB Racing and they will waive you in. Drive straight all the way to the Visitor’s Bldg loop and park. SBB Volunteers will direct you straight to the Boat Drop area when you get there. It’s a small & tight area and you won’t have a lot of time to doddle so come NLT 10:30 AM, place your boat and ALL your paddling gear in the area near the dock wherever there is room. If you’re renting a boat come extra early, go to the Visitor’s Center and sign the Waiver Form for your boat, grab your paddling gear and go to the same area and you will be set up with your boat.
PARKING AND MANDATORY GEAR DROP
The second thing you need to do is to park in the Racer Parking Lot following Volunteer’s directions and any signs.
- There are bathrooms in the Visitor’s Center bldg. and in the parking lot near your cars for changing before/after the race.
- Use Duct Tape and write your team name on your bikes so we can place them all together later in the race.
- Grab ALL Mandatory Bike Gear and following Volunteer’s instructions, head to the Bike Drop Area on your way to the Check-in.
- You are welcome to set up an EZ-Up, Tables or similar near this area.
- Once you have done these pre-race things, THEN come to the HQ Pavilion, check your entire team in, turn in your pre-printed Liability and Medical Waivers, get your T-shirts, Maps, Instructions & Master Passport.
- 4-hr Racers maps will be 100% pre-plotted.
- 8-hr racers will be plotting “some” CPs on your map. (A 1:24K Scale Plotter is required, but available with your entry if needed, just ask).
MANDATORY TEAM BRIEFINGS
- 8-hr Race Mandatory Team Briefing is at 7:15 AM for general race details and Team questions
- 8-hr Race Team Captains Final Briefing is at 7:45 AM. Final questions answered & Prologue Instructions will be given then
- 4-hr Race Mandatory Team Briefing is at 11:15 AM for general race details and Team questions
- 4-hr Race Team Captains Final Briefing is at 11:45 AM. Final questions answered & Prologue Instructions will be given then
RACE STARTING LOCATION
- Both Races START location will be next to the HQ Check-in at 8:00 AM & Noon, respectively.
RULES OF TRAVEL
- You can do the Prologue with or w/o Mandatory Gear, your choice
- On the Bike, have ALL Mandatory Gear with you, YRSP & VDOT requires you have your helmet on at all times when riding on roads and have both your bike lights “On”, (Front light & Rear flashing lights)
- On the Paddle, you must have ALL Mandatory Gear with you, have your PFD on at all times when on the water and have your Throw Bag easily accessible
- On any Trekking legs, you must have all Mandatory Gear with you. It is HIGHLY suggested to have pants or gaiters & Bug Spray, as there are a TON of fresh spring greenbriers out there and BIG bugs!
- One “Special” Prologue Punch Card to Start (Turned in at end of Prologue, before continuing the race)
- One Master Punch Card for the rest of the entire race CPs.
- ALL CPs are Optional & can be obtained in any order w/in that discipline only (Ex. Bike CPs during Bike)
- Complete O-Section covers over up to 4-5 mi+ travel to all CPs, so plan travel return time accordingly
- 8-hr CUT-OFF: Racers MUST be back at TA3 NLT 2 PM (Regardless if you biked or trekked first)
- 4-hr CUT-OFF: Racers MUST be back from Trekking at TA3 NLT 3 PM
- Write answers to any CP Questions right on your PUNCH CARD in the appropriate CP block #
- There are bathrooms at the Visitor’s Center and in the Parking Lot
- Some Water and/or Fluid Replacement Drink will be available at TA2 and TA3
- There will be FREE Massages at the Finish along with a down home freshly cooked meal for all!
Founder and Race Promoter
Soggy Bottom Boys Racing